Earn 15 points per $ spend
Things to do in Castel Sant'Angelo
The National Museum of Castel Sant'Angelo can be considered a monument, an archaeological site, and a museum all at the same time. Inside are numerous preserved and heterogeneous collections throughout different historical moments. Visiting the museum, you will discover the fascinating history of the building that houses it.
Built around 123 A.D. as a tomb for Emperor Hadrian and his family, Castel Sant'Angelo accompanied, for almost two thousand years, the fate and history of the capital. From a burial tomb to a fortified outpost, from a dark prison to a splendid Renaissance residence, from a Risorgimento prison to a museum, Castel Sant'Angelo embodies the story of the Eternal City, where past and present seem inextricably linked.
Founded as a museum of war memorabilia and military, such as weapons and uniforms, in recent decades the exhibition space of Castel Sant'Angelo has been enhanced with an impressive collection of pottery (with examples dating from the fifteenth to the eighteenth century) and an interesting group of medieval and modern sculptures.
Information about visiting:
- With the entrance ticket, it is possible to rent audio guides in several languages including: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French, English, German, Chinese and Russian.
- The museum is open year-round except on December 25, January 1, and May 1.
- Opening hours are from 9:00 am to 7:30 pm.
- The last admission is always one hour before the site closes, so at 6:30 pm.
- Due to the high number of entrances, both in high and low seasons, it is always advisable to make a reservation as to avoid queues at the ticket office.
- Not all routes are available for people with reduced mobility.
Lungotevere Castello, 50 Rome
Our recommendations in Castel Sant'Angelo
Explore Rome at your own pace: enjoy an app containing over 130 points of interest, transport routes, sightseeing itineraries and walking tours.
en, it, fr, es, de, +2 ru, zh
Discover the beauty of Rome in just 72 hours with the Rome Pass card. Take advantage of special reductions and discounts in Italy's stunning capital.
Discover the beauty of Rome in just 48 hours with the Rome Pass card. Take advantage of special reductions and discounts in Italy's stunning capital.
National Museum of Castel Sant'Angelo skip-the-line tickets
Buy your skip-the-line tickets to the National Museum of Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome and discover its heterogeneous collections.
Experiences in Castel Sant'Angelo
How to get there
Reviews Castel Sant'Angelo
“Es war einfach nur großartig”
“Il salta coda ci ha permesso di entrare al Castello molto velocemente”